serves 4 (2 tacos per serving)
Fish tacos make a light lunch or dinner and packs a lot of fresh flavour! Only the fish requires cooking, the rest is assembly! Make it gluten-free with corn tortillas or make it low-carb with lettuce leaf wraps.
There are 3 components to this recipe – the fish, the slaw and the mango salsa.
FOR THE FISH
1 lb . flakey white fish such as mahi mahi, halibut or cod cut into 3 inch strips
2 tbsp. olive or avocado oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp. smoked paprika (regular paprika is fine)
2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
juice of 1 lemon
FOR THE MANGO SALSA
1 mango, peeled, seeded and diced
1/4 red onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
3 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp. monk fruit sweetener or stevia to taste, optional
sea salt and pepper, sprinkling to taste
FOR THE LIME SLAW
1/2 bag coleslaw mix (look for healthier varieties including beet slaw, kale and broccoli slow e.g. PC brand)
1 lime, juiced
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. monkfruit sweetener or stevia (or sugar)to taste
8 6-inch corn tortilla wraps (or for low-carb version, use lettuce wraps)
avocado slices or guacamole, optional
pico de gallo, optional
- Place fish in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix together oil and spices and pour over fish along with the lemon juice. Let sit at room temperature at least 15 minutes, or up to 4 hours covered in the fridge.
- Stir mango, red onion, red pepper, cilantro, lime juice, cider vinegar, salt, and ground black pepper together in a bowl. Refrigerate salsa for at least 1 hour.
- In a medium size bowl, combine lime juice, monk fruit sweetener or stevia (or sugar, if using), a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Add coleslaw mix and stir well to coat all the coleslaw with the dressing.
- Oil a large fry pan and heat to medium-high. Place fish in the pan and cook each side for about 5 minutes or until fillet turns opaque and flakes.
- Assemble tacos: Place some fish onto each corn tortilla or lettuce leaf. Top with lime slaw and mango salsa. Serve with optional guacamole and pico de gallo.