3 eggs, separated
3 tablespoons whole milk cottage cheese or 3 tablespoons cream cheese
1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 (1 g) packet of stevia, if sweet taste is desired
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks very carefully in two separate bowls.
- In one bowl, using and electric mixer, mix together the egg yolks, the 3 tbsp. of cottage cheese or/ cream cheese and the packet of stevia (if desired).
- Clean the beaters before using again. The egg whites will not whip up properly if there’s any traces of fat from the egg yolks on the beaters. In the other bowl add 1/4 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar to the whites and beat the whites on high speed until they form very stiff peaks, about 5 minutes.
- Very carefully fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites until mixed, try not to mix too much or you will break down the fluffiness of the egg whites and it will become flat.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- With a large spoon, “scoop” the mixture into 9 even rounds on the sheets (about 4 to 5 inches wide), flatten the top with the back of the spoon.
- Bake on the middle rack for about 25 to 30 minutes. For the last 10 minutes watch them carefully to make sure they don’t brown too much. They should become a nice golden brown colour like a hamburger bun. Remove from oven and cool.
- While warm they are crumbly and similar to cooked meringue – but don’t let this fool you! Once completely cool, seal them in a ziplock storage baggie or a tupperware over night. They will totally change their consistency, to something much more like bread – a softer texture that is nice and chewy. If you do not like softer chewy bread, then eat them as they are, nice and crisp.
Makes 8 pieces of cloud bread
1 piece = 46 calories, 0 g carbs, 3 g fat, 3 g protein